This feature will allow you to setup automated email campaigns, personalize emails, track the effectiveness of the campaign and follow up with prospects based on their behaviour.
In this guide, we will talk about
- Who can access sales campaigns
- Limits and Scope
- Types of sales campaign
- Overall flow of sales campaign
- Execution of sales campaign
- Import your campaign audience
- Create your first campaign
Profile icon > Sales Campaign > Name the campaign > Define Audience > Choose Campaign > Add Campaign steps > Set Exit conditions
1. Who can access Sales Campaign?
Users with any role (Restricted, User, Manager, Admin, Account Admin) have access to Sales Campaign feature.
Recommended: Users should connect their emails to send emails using their custom SMTP for better deliverability.
2. What are the limits and scope?
Number of campaign limits -
|Limits per user||2||5||10|
Email limits specific to sales campaign emails are given below -
|Limits per user||200/day||500/day||1000/day||2000/day|
Sales campaigns have user scope. This means that a user will be able to view and edit only his campaigns.
3. Type of sales campaign
There are two types of campaigns -
- Classic Campaign: Classic campaign allows you to automatically run a sequence of actions for a set of audience on specific days. A typical example would be of a prospecting campaign for an outbound sales team where in the sales agent sends a set of emails and adds follow ups on specific days till the prospect responds.
- Smart Campaign: Smart campaigns allows you to automatically run the most relevant steps at fixed intervals in the campaign based on the behavior of the audience. An example of Smart Campaign would be customer onboarding or retention campaign where the sales agent wants to send an email based on what the audience has done or not. This will send the relevant email at the right time.
4. Overall flow of sales campaign
Define Audience: Audience is the set of leads, contacts, or accounts who will enter the campaign. You can add filter conditions on the property of leads or contacts to add them as audience. When accounts are added, all related contacts whose primary sales account matches the conditions will be added to the Campaign.
Choose campaign type: Choose a type between Classic Campaign and Smart Campaign depending on whether you want to run the campaign based on time or based on behaviour.
Add steps to be executed: Steps are the actions to be performed as part of the campaign. There are 3 types of actions that can be done - Add Email, Add Call Reminder and Add Follow up. These actions will be executed when the conditions of the step match.
- Define exit criteria: Exit criteria is the set of condition to match for leads, contacts, or accounts to exit the campaign at any point.
5. Execution of sales campaign
- A sales campaign will run at specified time/interval at the give time and timezone. The entry conditions will be checked every time the campaign runs to add new audience. The metrics will be updated at the same time.
- In classic campaign, if a step condition is not matched and the specific step is not executed, the lead will continue to run in the campaign by passing the step and executing the next step at the next specified day.
- If an email template is modified in a step, the campaign will send the modified email the next it runs. The same applies to modifying step conditions or day.
- All sales campaigns are independent. If campaign A is running on a specific lead, campaign B can also run on the same campaign unless specified explicitly.
6. Import your campaign audience
You can either filter the leads, contacts, or accounts already present in Freshsales or import your audience list in Freshsales before creating a campaign. Refer to our solution articles to import leads, contacts, and accounts
Recommended: Create a custom field such as ‘SDR campaign’ or ‘Import Name’ and populate a tag for every import you do. This will help you identify your records easily and add to audience criteria. You can also make use of Campaign default field.
7. Create your first campaign
Usecase - Run a campaign to qualify a lead in outbound sales. A set of emails sent and follow ups are done on specific days till the prospect responds back.
This is a typical usecase of classic campaign.
- To create a new campaign, you can go to ‘New’ on top navigation -> click on Campaign.You can also access the sales campaigns from Profile setting -> Sales Campaigns. This is the list view for all your campaigns. Click on New Sales Campaign on top right side.
- Give a name to your sales campaign. This name will be used in the filters to get the list of leads or contacts in a particular campaign.
- Next, define your audience. Choose the entity (Lead, Contact or Account) on which you want to run the campaign on. You can also add the filter conditions based on the properties to further select the specific leads, contacts, or accounts you want to run the campaign on.
You can add upto 5 filter conditions.
- Choose the campaign type. The prospecting emails will go on specific days so it is best to choose Classic Campaign. Select the time and timezone when the emails should go to the audience. This timing is used for all steps.
You can also choose to Exclude weekend by selecting the checkbox.
- Next, you add the steps to be executed. There are 3 types of actions we supports. You can
- To add an email step, click on Add Email. This will open an overlay to add the email.
- Select the day you want to send the email.
- You can add conditions to execute the step. These conditions can be on email activity or record property. You can add up to 8 conditions.
- Select the email template to be sent. You can personalize the emails by using placeholders in your email template. Learn more about email templates.
- You can further customize the email step under Advanced Settings.
- Send the email as a new thread or choose to send as a reply to previous step.
- Choose the From, Reply to, CC and BCC information
- Track the opens and clicks
- Include link to unsubscribe
- To add a follow up step, click on Add Follow up. This will open an overlay to add the follow up.
- Similarly, you can add a Call reminder as below.
- All the steps are executed
- Any of the email sent is unsubscribed or
- Email has bounced
You can also add the filter conditions based on the properties to further select the specific leads, contacts, or accounts you want to run the campaign on.
Note: You can add upto 5 filter conditions.
Important field: Last contacted mode is a smart field that gives the information about the last activity done with the lead, contact, or account. This can be ‘Not yet contacted’, ‘No reply’, ‘Opened but no reply’, ‘Replied’, ‘Incoming call’, ‘Outgoing call’, ‘Chat’, ‘Sales Activity’.
If you wish to learn about the feature and its use cases, please watch the following recording of our recently concluded webinar on Sales campaigns: