Website visitors are captured as leads when they fill a web form on your website and provide their email address. It could be a sign up form, a subscription form to your newsletter, forms for webinar registration etc. The fields in these forms need to be present in your Freshsales account for the data to get populated under the respective leads. Freshsales for Web, lets you create custom fields for those fields that aren't present in your account. So, you needn't have to login to your Freshsales account and add custom fields to receive the data in those fields.
Also, depending on your sales process and business requirements you can select individual web forms and capture website vistors as leads and contacts (or both) respectively. For example, if you'd like those who subscribe to your newsletter to be added as leads while you'd like to have those who sign up to be added as contacts, it is possible with Freshsales for Web.
To begin capturing website visitors as leads,
- Install the library on your website by copying the snippet
- Identify the fields in all the web forms in your website. Only the web forms that require the visitors' email address would be eligible to capture leads.
- Make sure that the fields present in the web form exist under the Lead fields in your Freshsales account. If they don't, you'd need to create custom fields for the same. You can add custom fields through the library installed on your website. For example, if your web form has a field called Years of experience, you'd need to check if that field is available in Freshsales. If it isn't, then you can create a custom field for Years of experience when you install the library by including
- If you'd like to capture website visitors as contacts instead of leads,
- Select the web form that you'd like to use to capture contacts.
- Include a property called fs_contact in the snippet from the library.
- Explain how data gets split between contact, account and deal.
When visitors get added as leads, the following occurs,
1. All the activities of the visitor on your website, is tracked and populated in the Activities timeline of the lead in your Freshsales account. This includes the activities of the visitors before they filled a web form and were added as leads.