When you have different records for the same leads, it becomes difficult to track their correspondence over time. You may not want to delete the records as some of them might have data that you could use in future even if they aren’t active. At times like these, you can always choose to merge your records into one primary record that has the data from all the leads merged.
Here’s how you do it,
- From the Leads list view page, select the leads that you’d like to merge. You can merge a maximum of 25 leads at a time.
- In the Merge Leads overlay, choose a lead that you’d like to retain in Freshsales.
- The lead that you choose is the Primary record and all the other leads become Secondary records.
- The data from the primary record is retained.
- If the primary record has blank fields, then the data from the secondary records is filled in those fields.
- The secondary records are then deleted permanently.
What happens after I merge the leads?
To help you understand how merge works, here’s a list of all the lead properties that get updated:
1. Lead fields - The primary record is retained with its values. If the primary record has blank fields, then the values of the most recently updated secondary record is filled. However, the following lead fields are updated as follows,
- Created at - The date of the the oldest record (primary or secondary) created.
- Updated at - The date when the leads are merged.
2. Territory - If the primary record does not belong to any territory, it is then run against all the territory rules in your account and added to the respective territory.
3. Appointments & Tasks - The appointments and tasks of all the secondary records is merged with the primary record.
4. Notes - The notes of all the secondary records are merged with the primary record.
5. Conversations - All conversations, inclusive of phone calls and voicemails, of the secondary records, are associated with the primary record. Their email address and phone number (in call logs) is replaced with the email address and phone number of the primary record.
6. Activities timeline - The activities of all the secondary records are merged with the primary record.