If your CRM is handled by multiple users and has multiple lead sources set in place, there is always a likelihood of duplicate records being created. While Freddy helps you detect duplicate records, it is ideal if you can prevent duplicates from being created in the first place. In Freshsales, this can be implemented by making a field “unique.”
Freshsales has a set of default fields that are marked as unique:
- Email address field on Contacts (Primary Email address only)
- Name field on Accounts
Based on the nature of the business, admins can choose upto 2 unique fields (default or custom) per module. Unique fields can be of either text or number type.
Note: Disabling uniqueness on Account name and Contact email address can impact Lead Conversion rules. To understand the impact of this on lead conversion, refer to this article.
When a field is marked unique, Freshsales does not allow users to save the record if the value in unique field is already present in the system. This is validated when a record is saved manually, through a bulk update, integration APIs or CSV imports.
To understand how this works, let us look at an example.
Let us consider that you would like to use the Mobile number field to screen for duplicate leads. Here’s how you can do the same,
1. Go to Admin Settings > Leads/Contacts/Accounts/Deals Module and click the dropdown on the field that you wish to make unique.
- Only Text field and Number fields can be marked ‘unique’
- A maximum of 2 fields per module can be marked ‘unique’
2. Click the checkbox titled ‘Mark the field as unique’. This presents you with a dialog box that requests confirmation.
3. Click ‘Yes’ to configure the field as unique.
|Note: Once a field is made unique, it cannot be reverted back.|
4. Click to make the configuration changes live.
Alternately, you can also make a field unique from the EDIT FIELD overlay
How does making a field unique prevent duplication of records?
Whenever a user tries to create a new lead with a Mobile number matching that of an existing lead, Freshsales throws a duplication alert and prevent the creation of the lead. Only when a unique Mobile number is provided will Freshsales create the lead. This helps you to prevent the creation of duplicate leads in your account.
When your account is downgraded to below the Estate plan, the uniqueness applied on a field will be removed and the unique check will be reverted back to the default settings– Email address field on contact and the Name field on accounts