While sending bulk emails, planning targeted campaigns on leads or contacts and sending updates through newsletters, placeholders improve the productivity of these emails.
Email placeholders generally help you connect better with your recipients by sending personalized mails using fields like First name, Lead owner’s email and your choice of custom fields.
Here’s how you can use them,
1. Compose a bulk mail to leads or contacts from the respective list view pages.
2. Click placeholders from the toolbar of the email compose window. A list of field names(default & custom) appears.
3. Choose the lead/contact field of your choice like Full name, First name, Last name, Owner name and so on.
4. The chosen field name is stored within curly braces(placeholder).
5. The respective field's value gets automatically inserted while sending the mail.
6. Once your email is all set, click Send.
|Note: All custom fields can also be used as a placeholder.
How to use a common template for leads and contacts? - Intelligent mapping of placeholders
Many a time you might send the same email repeatedly. You can save such emails as a template to make things easier and save productive time. These templates can be saved with placeholders too.
Say, you use a lead’s custom field as the placeholder in the template originally. Later, you might want to use the same template for sending emails to contacts too. As the placeholder used is specific to the lead, an equivalent contact field needs to be mapped instead.
Here’s how you do it,
1. Create an email template.
2. Use any lead field (default or custom) as a placeholder in the template.
- Lead’s default fields used in the template are auto-mapped to contact fields.
- Lead’s custom fields can also be used. Unlike the default lead fields, you need to manually map the lead custom field to a contact field.
3. Save and share the template.
4. Use this as a common template to send bulk emails to both your leads and contacts.
If you try adding a placeholder with empty field values for the selected recipient, you are notified with an error message as follows,