Supported file format: CSV only. Please convert all your files into a .CSV before attempting to import data using Freshsales.
There are 4 important things that you'd need to know about when you import leads from a .CSV file. They are described in detail below:
- Preparing your CSV file
- Importing the file
- Mapping fields
- Reasons for failure of data import
Preparing your CSV file
- Make sure that your CSV file's header row has columns that can be mapped to the fields Last name.
For all accounts created on or before 28th June 2017, the Company Name is mandatory for conversion. For the new Garden and Estate accounts created after 28th June 2017, Company name is optional. A new Blossom or Sprout account user can contact our support team to make the Company Name optional.
- The file shouldn't be larger than 5MB.
- If you'd like to automatically assign leads to users in Freshsales, create a column with the email addresses of the users in Freshsales and map that column to the field Owner.
The email address must be the email address that the user uses to sign in to Freshsales.
- You'd need to create the custom fields before you begin the import for you to be able to map your columns with them.
If any field is a multi-select field, the values of the field should be separated by semicolon(;) in the .CSV file. Ex: Say the field, Competitors involved is a multi-select field. Competitor column in the .CSV should be:
Tracton Inc; Hilvell Org; Boton Space Ltd
Niller Co; Hilvell Org
- Last name must be mapped for the import to be complete. Your CSV file must have columns for this field.
Importing the file
Here's how you import leads from your CSV file,
- Go to the Leads tab and click Import Leads.
- In the Import Leads overlay, click Upload your CSV file and browse through the files on your device to choose the desired CSV file.
- Once you have selected the file, you would see the file's name appear above the Remove button.
- If you'd like to replace the CSV file, click Remove and start afresh.
- Click the Update checkbox if you'd like to update the data of your existing contacts in Freshsales (if any) with the ones in the CSV file.
- Once you've uploaded a CSV file, choose one of the three options
- Add new records - Add new records from the CSV file and reject duplicates.
- Add new and update existing records without overwriting values - Add new records and update only the blank fields of existing records.
- Add new and update existing records overwriting values - Add new records and update all fields of existing records overwriting the values present in the fields.
The available unique identifiers to find the record in Freshsales and update it are : ID and Email
7. Now hit Next.
Note: You can export ID field using ‘Export as CSV’ option under Reports or ‘Export Data’ under Admin Settings->Account
The Map Columns To Freshsales Fields overlay that you now see is exclusively for mapping the columns in your CSV file with the fields available in Freshsales.
Mapping the fields is critical to the success of the import, so here’s a list of know-hows to help you do it right.
- If there are columns that you do not wish to import, you can skip those columns by simply not mapping them with any field.
- As fields get mapped, they become unavailable for mapping with another column (Fields are distinct).
- If you want to map a field that has already been mapped with a column to another column, you will have to remove that mapping. The field that is removed now becomes available for mapping with other columns.
- Lastly, make sure the field type matches with the type of value in the column. For example, if you’re trying to map the column Number of times contacted, you need to find a field that accepts numeric value viz the Number field. If you’ve mapped it to a field which is a text box, then the values for the column Number of times contacted will not be imported to Freshsales.
- After you’re done mapping the fields, hit Import.
- If your CSV file is small, the import will be instantaneous and you can see a green label that gives you the number of successful imports. If the CSV file is large, you will receive an email from Freshsales.
Why did some of my data not get imported?
When importing leads, these are the possible reasons for the failure of data import:
- Invalid email address - If the email addresses in your CSV file aren’t of the proper format (e.g: jamesampleton@sales , jeangrey.com)
- Unmapped Columns - Columns that aren’t mapped with any of the field in Freshsales.
- Improper Field Type - If the field type is different from the type of value in the column.
- Picklist Values - If you’re mapping a column with values for a picklist (such as Radio button/Checkbox/Drop down menu) with a field in Freshsales (also a picklist), you need to double check that the values in the column match with the choices of the field (picklist) in Freshsales.
For e.g : If you’ve got a column that has the values 1, 2, 3 for the Number of contacts attempted and want to map it to a radio button (field) in Freshsales, make sure that that radio button has 1, 2, 3 as the field’s choices.
|We also recommend that you have a look at these:|